Hola, amigos. I know it's been a long time since I rapped at ya, but I been puttin' out fires left and right. The truth is, I never planned to take the summer off, but about halfway through July I realized that's just what I'd been doing. So, in my mind, I made it official and decided I'd start posting again after Labor Day.
Did you miss me? Are you still around? I suspect that most people don't visit websites directly anymore, and 99% of my loyal fans have this site tucked safely into their RSS reader, in which case the answers are likely "no," and "yes," respectively.
At least two people, both of whom had much busier summers than I did, inquired as to my whereabouts and general state of being. There's nothing more humbling than telling someone who has (in the span of three months): consolidated residences from two different states into a single NY apartment, changed jobs, made multiple international trips with a toddler in-tow, and still managed to put up high-quality content on his own website...there's nothing worse than telling that guy you've been "kinda busy lately." But "busy" is a relative term, right?
Now that the summer's over, I'm excited to get back to writing. If that's what we can call this. I've been using my time off to conjure up some grand plans for my little corner of the Internet:
- I plan to narrow my attention and focus to fewer categories and areas of interest.
- I'm committed to not adding to the amount of hours we all waste on useless and/or meaningless distractions. I fear that in the past I may have posted a video or two, or links to some other ephemera, the consumption of which didn't add any perceivable value to the universe in general, or your life in particular. And YOU, dear reader, deserve more respect than that. Time is precious. I'm going to do my best not to waste yours or mine.
- As a by-product of the above bullet, I expect to post less frequently than I used to.
- I've changed my site's subtitle. "Like Tyler Cowen for the C-students" perfectly captured the animating spirit that launched this site, but it turned out to be way too aspirational. I'd be a D-student in one of Dr. Cowen's classes (at best), especially given the sort of exams he's handed out in the past. The new subtitle more accurately reflects the direction this site has taken over the past year. If you're as comfortable as I am admitting that you're not one of the Cool Kids, then this is a safe place. A place where we can feel free sharing our feelings. Think of it as a nest in a tree of trust and understanding. We can say anything here.
- I'm sure I've made more changes in my mind, and there are more to come as the year grinds down to a tiny nub, but let's face it: you stopped reading when you saw the first bullet point. I understand.
If you're still here, Thanks! Thanks for subscribing, or checking back every so often; thanks for reading; thanks for entrusting me with a few minutes of your time. I hope your summer was a good one, and I look forward to staying in touch more often!